Man charged in double murder

Source: The Transcontinental 

A magistrate has suppressed the identity of a man accused of this week's double murder in Quorn, preventing publication of his photo in the media.

In a session at Port Augusta Magistrates Court on Thursday, which lasted less than 10 minutes, the accused killer's name, image and any other material which could identify him was suppressed by Magistrate Terry Forrest.

More witnesses are yet to be interviewed by police.

The accused entered the small court room shortly after 3pm looking dishevelled and sat in the dock looking down at the floor.

A resident of Quorn, he was dressed in a black t-shirt and black vest.

He is facing two murder charges relating to the deaths of Port Pirie girl Rebecca Wild, 16 and Quorn local Jasinta-Leigh Fullerton, 22.

Both women knew the accused who was remanded in custody to appear in court in February.

How it unfolded

Officers arrested the man at his house on Wednesday night following the discovery of Ms Fullerton's body at 3.45am next to her vehicle on Groves Road, Quorn.

Detective Superintendent Grant Moyle said police believed she was killed because she came into contact with the accused and his first alleged victim, Rebecca Wild.

Ms Fullerton was last seen alive around 10.30pm after she left the Transcontinental Hotel.

"It would appear that the murder of Jessie was a result of her coming across this person with the first victim and as a result of that, it will be alleged that this is why she was murdered when she was," said Det Supt Moyle.

"He was certainly known to both victims in this matter.

"We know that the body of the Port Pirie girl was buried there [Quorn cemetery] in a shallow grave and it will be excavated this morning."

Ms Fullerton had suffered a head wound, he said.

Miss Wild was reported missing by her parents on Tuesday night before the discovery of her body at Quorn cemetery.

A Facebook post had been circulated, asking locals to keep an eye out for her.

"Last seen last night at Memorial Park at Port Pirie West concert (4/12/12). She told her parents that she was going for a walk to meet [her] boyfriend [but] never came home," it read.

"She was wearing [a] long, cream knitted top, black leggins and black ballet flats.

"She did not take any clothes, purse or phone charger. Her Facebook account has been closed and her phone off.

"Please help find her. Family are missing her."

The principal of the high school where Rebecca attended said students were grieving the loss of the popular student.

Students were offered counselling, said John Pirie Secondary School principal Roger Nottage.

Turn of events

Detective Superintendent Grant Moyle confessed he was personally disturbed by the circumstances surrounding the deaths of Jessie and Rebecca. 

The seasoned Major Crime force detective was answering questions at a media conference in Quorn on Thursday when a reporter asked, "What's your reaction to this, you know, terrible scenario?"

"It has been quite an unusual course of events that have unfolded yesterday and last night," Det Supt Moyle replied.

"I would suggest that I thought nothing much would surprise me after my time in Major Crime but this certainly has."

Det Supt Moyle said the local State Emergency Service unit and vehicle would be included in the police investigation.

He also expressed his condolences to the families involved in the tragedy.

Jessie was a well-known Quorn local, famous for her love of animals and passion for camel riding.

In May, she celebrated finishing a Certificate in Childrens' Services.

Miss Wild was in Year 10 at school in Port Pirie.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide