Police briefs - April 25

A HANDFUL of Jerrabomberra homes were temporarily left without power after a P-Plate driver lost control of his car and crashed into an electricity box.

The 18-year-old male driver left a trail of damage behind him after losing control of his vehicle at about 1.30am on Tuesday, April 22.

The driver's car left the footpath near Dennis Place and collided with a parked camper trailer causing the trailer to flip.

The camper trailer ended up against the front bedroom of a Bicentennial Drive residence. Police reported there was several thousands of dollars of damage to the roof and gutter of the home as a result of the incident.

The driver was breath tested and returned a negative result. Police believe speed was a major cause of the accident and issued the driver with an infringement notice for negligent driving and not displaying his P-Plates.


QUEANBEYAN Police haven't ruled out the possibility a recent spate of attempted break and enters into CBD businesses are related to those committed in early March.

Over the Easter long weekend, a physiotherapy located in Monaro Street was broken into. The door appeared to have been jimmied open but no property was stolen.

The physiotherapy was just one of the businesses around the Monaro Street area that was damaged as a result of the vandal attempting to break into the premises.

Inspector Chris Varley said it was difficult to determine if recent incidents had any connection to the 12 previous break and enters into Monaro and Crawford Street businesses committed earlier in the year.

"The incidents were in the same vicinity as before and again they've targeted commercial businesses," he said.

"However, without further information to go on, it's difficult to say if they're related."

Anyone with any information can contact Queanbeyan Police on 6298 0555.


AN ELECTRICAL fault has been blamed for a small roof fire at a home in Bendora Street, Queanbeyan.

The Queanbeyan Fire Brigade and police were called to the scene at about 8.30am on Sunday, April 20.

The fire, which was burning from the roof of the garage area, appeared to "self-extinguish" before firefighters arrived.

Inspector Valey said the fire burnt itself out rather than flaring up into a bigger blaze.

Firefighters later confirmed the flames were caused by an electrical fault.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide