Firies urge caution as houses burn

QUEANBEYAN Firefighters are reminding residents to be stay vigilant over the winter season after two house fires last week.

A property at Carri Crescent, Karabar suffered "extensive damage" following a house fire on Monday, June 9. The fire may have been accidentally started from a cigarette and is not being treated as suspicious, Queanbeyan Police said.

Firefighters reported seeing flames and smoke coming from the front of the house and verandah when called to the scene at about 8.15am.

The fire spread to the roof and eaves but was contained within the hour. No one was injured in the blaze with the occupants of the house woken by smoke alarms.

The incident follows another house fire that broke out next to a petrol station at Blackall Avenue, Queanbeyan on Friday, June 6.

Firefighters attended the scene at about 9.30am and took 15 minutes to get the blaze under control. The fire appears to be a result of a fault in the dryer.

"There were some bystanders that had garden hoses and made every effort to knock it down but the fire was quite hot and quite big," Queanbeyan Fire Station's station officer Jason Murphy said.

"The fire appears to have started in the laundry room and is believed to have been caused by a fault in the dryer."

One female occupant was at home during the incident. She was checked by ambulance officers and given the all clear.

The BP Service Station, located next door to the house, was closed for a short period of time while crews battled the blaze.

Mr Jason said the incident was a timely reminder for residents to check and empty the lint filter in their dryers as well as other electrical appliances and heaters.

Firefighters are also urging residents to check and test their smoke alarms.

Related story: Firies warn of increased fire dangers over winter - tips for how you can prepare your home

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide