A severe weather warning has been issued for the ACT and the Southern Tablelands.
Gusts of 93kph were recorded in Goulburn just after 3:00pm today, and the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) warns of further damaging winds and severe thunderstorms over the next few hours.
Those travelling towards Canberra or Goulburn should take care on the roads, and another update will be posted at 6:15pm.
Locations which may be affected include Bowral, Braidwood, Canberra, Goulburn, Cooma and Adaminaby.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.