Several Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council services and events have been closed or postponed due to coronavirus restrictions.
The monthly council ordinary meeting will go ahead this week, Mayor Tim Overall announced.
LIBRARIES, MUSEUMS, AND SPORT
Queanbeyan-Palerang Libraries will be closed to the public until further notice; library programs and events suspended; and the toy library is not available. Their e-Library resources (including e-Books, e-Audio and e-Magazines) and mobile services continue to operate. So do the Ask a Librarian and the Home Library services.
The library will look at other ways to deliver library materials to the community. New members are welcome; loans have been extended to 3 months, and the number of items increased from 20 to 30. For more information, visit https://library.qprc.nsw.gov.au/ or call 6285 6255.
The Queanbeyan and Braidwood & District historical museums have shut, and Indoor Sports and Aquatics at the Queanbeyan Indoor Pool have ended.
Q - Performing Arts Centre
The curtain has fallen on the Q - Performing Arts Centre's autumn season.
- Feb-April - QPRC Council Collection in The Q Exhibition space - Closed
- 19 March - Leaving Jackson - The Johnny Cash and June Carter show - Postponed to 26 August
- 28 March - Canberra Choral Society - Cancelled
- 29 March - National Capital Orchestra - Cancelled
- 1 April - MusEffect, Karabar High - Cancelled
- 2-5 April - Grace Under Pressure - Postponed to 2021
- 3 April - Tribute to Mario Lanza - Postponed to 31 October 2020
- April-May - Mamma Mia - Postponed to October-November (TBA)
- 25 April - INXS Capital Productions - Cancelled pending possible new date
- 12-17 May - Don Juan - Postponed to 11-15 May 2021
- 15 May - Remember Cat Stephens - Postponed (TBA)
- 19-24 May - Jekyll and Hyde - Postponed to 18-22 May 2021
- 29 May-1 June - Playlist - Postponed (TBA)
- 3-4 June - Into the Woods, QBN High - Postponed to 26-27 November 2020
- 6-21 June - Sound of Music, QBN Players - Postponed to 9-18 October 2020
- 17-27 June - Romeo & Juliet - Cancelled pending possible new date
- 1-4 July - Owl & the Pussycat Circus - Pending - possibility of moving to 2021
- 10 July - Battle of the Voices - Pending
- 21-26 July - Mother and Son - Pending
Contact the Box Office on 6285 6290 for any concerns.
- 2 April* - Citizenship Ceremony - proceeding with conferees only
- 4 April - Googfest - Cancelled
- 4 April - Araluen Bushfire Concert - Pending advice
- 4 April - Braidwood Rodeo - Cancelled
- 18 April - Wheels of Wamboin - Pending advice
- 25 April - AUS Boys Interstate Team Series - Cancelled
25 April - ANZAC Day: Legacy has cancelled the Dawn Service, and the RSL has cancelled the march, addresses, and wreath-laying ceremonies.
- 2 May - NSW Junior Golf Tournament - Pending advice
- 2-3 May - NRMA Bright Futures - Cancelled
- 9 May - Meet & Make Festival - Likely postponed
- 28 May* - Reconciliation Walk (and associated QPRC NAIDOC Awards Ceremony) - Postponed
- 5-10 July - Kanga Cup - Pending advice
- 19 July* - Christmas in July - Likely cancelled rather than postponed
- 30 July* - Citizenship Ceremony - Pending advice
* indicates events run by Council. Other events receive varying levels of support from Council.
QPRC Youth Services
QPRC Youth team are closely following and responding to COVID-19 health and government regulations, to limit the potential spread in our community and maintain the safety of young people.
- QPRC Youth Drop In (at the AXIS Youth Centre), Zero to 100 and Box Fit Programs are suspended until further notice.
- AXIS Food Hub, 4-5pm Tuesdays. Sealed healthy food and wellbeing packs will be available for young people via the front entrance serving window.
- Live chat and video streaming with AXIS, 4 - 6pm Thursdays. Staff will be available via live video chat to organise interactive games, competitions, and positive wellbeing tips, and be available for general support.
- Zero to 100 Facebook Group will feature interactive challenges. A weekly workout challenge will be posted for program participants to complete.
- Wednesday Young Parents Facebook Group will provide a forum for weekly tips and ideas for mums and their little ones.
- Youth Week activities will be postponed with dates to be confirmed.
- QPRC Youth Committee meetings will be conducted via online platforms.
- AXIS Facebook Page and Instagram accounts will contain regular information and tips for young people to stay connected, share healthy snack and meal ideas, and much more.
- Housing, employment, training and personal support will still be provided. Young people are encouraged to message staff via the AXIS FB page, text, phonecall or email.
Program start dates and links will soon be confirmed.
Friendly staff are available to answer any of your questions: please contact Kelly Rivas (team leader) on 0466 409 896.
Bushfire Recovery information and referral point
The bushfire recovery centre in the Old Braidwood Library is closed to face-to-face sessions but still available for advice on 6285 6789 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Council will continue to conduct community bushfire recovery meetings, supplemented with video updates and online communications. Outreach services will also continue.
Animal Management Services
Only genuinely interested adoption prospects may enter the facility. No out of region customers (ACT and Queanbeyan /Palerang residents only). Visitors must sanitise hands before entering and on leaving. No cash; card only payments accepted.
Volunteer walking and running of seized, surrendered or found animals is suspended.
No surrenders are accepted for at least six weeks.
Rural waste cleanup - Sat 28 March
For those residents who were notified via mail of a clean-up service for rural residents this coming Saturday, this clean-up has been cancelled due to the risks of COVID-19 for attendees and staff.