The Informer: Farewell to an Olympic legend, John Fahey

John Fahey - the man, his moment. Photo: via @GladysB on Twitter
John Fahey - the man, his moment. Photo: via @GladysB on Twitter

Next week will mark 20 years since the opening of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

News broke on earlier today of John Fahey's death, a man whose reaction to the announcement the games were returning to Australia personified the joy many residents felt at the time.

The 75-year-old former NSW premier and federal politician played a key role in the successful bid for Sydney.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison paid tribute to the New Zealand-born Mr Fahey on Saturday, as did president of the Australian Olympic Committee John Coates.

Mr Coates said the country owed Mr Fahey an enormous debt of gratitude.

"It was amazing. It showed all the pent up anxiety we all had, and it just all came out. He was so very proud of being the leader of that bid," he told reporters on Saturday.

Speaking of gratitude, a woman has avoided jail time after breaching quarantine rules in Perth.

She was not so lucky as to avoid reprimand altogether slapped with a $1000 fine and issued an ankle monitor after police found two men inside her home during her period of self isolation.

No longer the naughtiest state, Victorians recorded just 37 new cases of coronavirus on Saturday as Melburnians appeared to have heeded the message lost on some Western Australians.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton confirmed regional Victoria, where active cases had fallen to 58, was on track to have major restrictions lifted in coming days, with the possibility of jumping two steps by mid-next week.

"It is within our grasps and we will be realistic about how it's tracking," Prof Sutton said.

"We will follow those numbers every day and if we get to a point where it is clear that is not possible to get to no community transmission, we'll make a call on that.

Active infections in Victoria have fallen to 1251, down from a high of 7877 on August 12.

While cases in Sydney remain low, regional NSW had another scare this weekend after it was revealed on Saturday someone who visited Katoomba Sports & Aquatic Centre on September 4 tested positive.

Anyone who visited the centre between 11.30am and 1.30pm on that day have been informed they must immediately get tested and isolate if they develop symptoms.

For the rest of us, the advice remains the same: stay home and stay safe.

Did you know you can receive this daily digest by email? Sign up here

News you need to know